Steven Wright - “I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, 'Where’s the self-help section?' She said if she told me it would defeat the purpose.”

Friday, December 17, 2004

The Photograph, by Penelope Lively

OMG!!! If you haven't read this book yet...seriously think about putting it on your reading agenda. It is now 12:24am..as in...just past midnight...and I am sitting here typing this blog entry because I just finished reading that novel and now I can't sleep. I've tried everything (just ask Alan) and still, I can't get it out of my head. While I will admit that there are parts of the novel that tend to get a bit wordy, this is mostly due to the fact that a lot of the context contains "dreamlike" conversations in the form of the memories of each of the main characters. I don't want to reveal anything that is vital to the story, so I'm trying to censor my comments at this point. Let's just say that it is a rather haunting story that has my mind reeling even after having turned the last page. A worthy read for sure.

7 comments:

Ayesha97 said...

I just need to pick up a copy to read, and then I'll be right behind you! Glad that it was a good read!

:D said...

Me too! I won't be able to get my copy until Monday morning at the earliest but I should have it read by Thursday night at the latest.

:D said...

Alright I lied, I didn't read the previous post before I made that comment so I didn't see that it was only 230 pages long. Hopefully I will have it read by Tuesday morning. I finally have this page bookmarked so I will know what's going on.

:D said...

Done!!! Is anyone else reading this book?

Ayesha97 said...

I just started.... give me a few days and I'll let you know what I think.

Ayesha97 said...

I can't say that I was crazy about this book at all. The only part that caught my attention was the last 15 pages. I could easily have done without reading it. Yes it was a haunting story, I think that the writing style overwrote the actual story. I spent more time trying to figure out what was said amont the many many "wordy" parts than actually focusing on the story. I do think that it could have the potential to be a good movie.

:D said...

I spent most of the book angry at the woman's family. I couldn't believe how they all just brushed her aside and made it seem like they only thought of her as an object, something that could be set aside until they felt like dealing w/ it, and that the only value that they placed on her was how she looked. These people were supposed to be the people who loved her the most and they just brushed her aside. I sat there thinking "what's wrong w/ these people?" I thought it was good though. Just sad.