Steven Wright - “I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, 'Where’s the self-help section?' She said if she told me it would defeat the purpose.”

Sunday, December 19, 2004

Book vs Movie

Normally, I'm all about reading a book before I ever watch a movie that is based on it. For the most part I've been disappointed in most of the movies that have been released based on a classic or best-selling novel. Many don't follow the story-line close enough for my liking. Some have entirely different endings, while others leave out vital scenes or even characters. Take the movie Gone With the Wind for instance. If my memory serves me, you are only introduced to one of Scarlett's children - the daughter she shares with Rhett that she eventually loses in an accident. However, in the novel....you are introduced to ALL THREE of Scarlett's children (by three different father's I believe). If that isn't vital to the storyline...I don't know what is. Anyway, this is all background for the point I'm trying to make. I happened to see the movie, All the Pretty Horses starring Matt Damon and Penelope Cruz before I realized that it was based on the same, self-titled novel by Cormac McCarthy. I am about half-way through said novel as of today, and I must admit...I'm enjoying it immensely. As I read, I am also becoming more impressed with the movie and how accurately it portrays the novel. So far, scene for scene...it's an identical representation. When I was in high school and even college, I knew kids who would always rent the movie rather than reading the required selections. They usually ended up failing the exams because the two versions were so different. Unless there is some dramatic change at the end of the novel that differs from the conclusion of the movie, then All the Pretty Horses may just be the one book/movie duo that is the exemption to that rule. In other words...if you don't have time to read this one....rent the movie and go ahead and check it off your list! ;)

3 comments:

:D said...

The Green Mile was pretty damn close. I think only 2 minor things were different from the book to the movie. But I could be mistaken, I only saw the movie once.

Ed said...

Hmm, I like the idea of reading All The Pretty Horses. I haven't seen the film, but it's one of those books that I've always meant to read but never get round to.

Perhaps that will be an early New Year's Resolution.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Best wishes,
Ed

Anonymous said...

I really liked the book, hated the movie.