Steven Wright - “I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, 'Where’s the self-help section?' She said if she told me it would defeat the purpose.”

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife



I have recently seen the trailor for the movie, The Time Traveler's Wife, that is based on the book of the same title by Audrey Niffenegger. This prompted me to move the novel to the top of my TBR pile. I just finished reading it last week, and I must say I enjoyed it far more than I had imagined that I would. You have to pay close attention to the ages of the characters in the notations that precede each chapter, or you may have some trouble making sense of events and the order in which they occur. I found the idea of time-travel being a genetic characteristic quite interesting and unique. The book was very well-written, and once I began reading I found myself loathe to stop until I had read it cover-to-cover. The plot, despite its underlying characteristics of science fiction, was actually quite plausible. The characters were very realistic and well-defined, allowing the reader to paint a clear image in his/her head of each of them at various ages throughout the novel. I would definitely recommend this book to others. As for the movie, I have yet to see it and am not entirely sure that I want to. I've rarely found a movie that does a book justice, and rather like my own mental images that were drawn during the reading of the novel.

2 comments:

Mitabird said...

I wanted to see the movie, but the ending was changed to suit viewers. The movie received negative reviews with the original ending.

Rosa* said...

I'm really not surprised, which is one reason I haven't wanted to see the movie. I couldn't imagine them leaving the bittersweet ending as is, in today's "happily ever after" world.